Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Purchasing a QNAP

Hello, this is the scenario, I was going to purchase the TVS-872X or XT-i5 or TVS-672X or XT-i5 but now I am going with the TVS-H674-i3 once in stock. I plan on using it for system backups, shared data and Plex (1080p and 4K). I purchased 4 ST18000NE000 drives during Amazon 2 day sale. I have a TP-Link TL-SX105 switch, PCs have 2.5G adapters. Questions: 1) I was thinking of getting 2 1TB NVMEs for Primary storage pool or for caching, how would you use them or do you think I need them? 2) QuTS hero vs QTS, not sure which one to go with, looks like hero has a lot of benefits but you can’t add drives to the RAID group without wiping current group. Your thoughts. 3) Your thought in general on my plan.

I forgot to say I may create a couple of VMs and if I use QuTS Hero how much memory would you recommend for the QNAP.
Yes, Qnap 72 / 74 and also 88 series models are their best NASes. The new generation i3 core competes with i5/i7 older gen.
If you connect everything via 2.5GbE, you will not experience the full performance these models can achieve. Maybe for this reason you don't need nvme. Most people use them for storage not caching. Installing OS and apps feel smoother.
QTS hero would be a better choice if you run VMs commercially. For home use, this is not very beneficial. Upgrading ZTS requires data wiping. Also, it consumes more RAM and CPU resources, so you have less power left for VMs. QTS is OK.
With 4K streaming locally, you can practically use any NAS. Remote streaming would require 73A series with a dedicated GPU card though.

I hope this helps.