Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CD Library

I have hundreds of music CDs that have be in boxes for several years. I have decided to by a Synology 2 bay, (probably a DS 220+ or a DS720+) to upload my CDs so I can listen to them again. I will also use it to backup my computers and other devices in my home.
I will use Plex for the music. My question is, is it possible to upload the disks directly to Plex or do I need to upload them to Itunes on my computer and import them to plex?

PLEX just like DS Audio or apple music is media organising software. You simply point to the location where you store all your music or videos and the app will automatically organise it in a user friendly way.
So the question is whether there is a simple way to directly copy music from a CD to a NAS. You could connect USB CD ROM player and copy files directly. But with music you will need to convert them into MP3 or FLAC first. This means you will connect or use an internal CD ROM to your computer. Rip all songs to a folder and copy this folder to a NAS.
If you need to connect your NAS to your computer, here is how https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipZl_iRiYCc

Here is how to rip your CDs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw52pxqX7sg
Rip CDs
When you rip music from a CD, you're copying songs from an audio CD to your PC. During the ripping process, the Player compresses each song and stores it on your drive as a Windows Media Audio (WMA), WAV, or MP3 file.

Ripped files are automatically saved to the Music folder, but you can change the location using the options on the Rip settings tab.

Rip music from a CD
Make sure your PC is connected to the Internet if you want Windows Media Player to automatically get info about the songs, such as the name of the CD, the artist, and titles for the tracks being ripped.

Open Windows Media Player.

Insert an audio CD into the PC's CD drive.

Select the Rip CD button Rip CD button.

Tips:

If you want to select a different format or bit rate, select the Ripsettings menu, and then choose Format or Audio Quality in the Player Library.

If you don't want to rip every song, clear the check boxes next to the songs you don't want.