Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ryzen CPUs, transcoding, etc

Hello,

I've been watching and reading a lot of the contemt you guys have put out. Thank you very much for your work!

I'm close to purchasing my first NAS and I'm in the same situation as many other people: wondering if I should buy a Synology DS920+ or wait for the DS923+.

I've watched the videos and read the articles you've published about this and I have some questions.

If the DS923 indeed comes out with the Ryzen CPUs which don't have hardware transcoding. what is that going to prevent me from doing, compared to the DS920+?

Is transcoding only relevant if I want to watch media outside of the house (where I have the NAS)?
Can't the transcoding be done purely by software? Doesn't the Plex server do this, for example?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Luis

It is very likely that this model will feature Ryzen CPU with no transcoding.
You are right about software transcoding. CPU itself could convert majority of 1080p videos. But surely no 4K. Their budget J series will do a better 4K transcoding than this model.
With Plex it is similar, but since this is a third-party app, it can transcode even less than the original Synology video app. This limits transcoding to HD/FHD and again no 4K.

This also affects surveillance functionality what Synology is advertising so heavily. If you have 4K CCTV cameras, Ryzen based NAS is terrible if you need to access footage remotely. Something very common like checking business CCTV while at home.

You can use an offline transcoder that generates additional video file that is small enough to be streamed directly though. It just takes more space.

I hope this helps.