Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which NAS?

Hi,
I need a NAS to watch movies from different places, store pictures from my trips and have access to my files all around the world.
Please advise on a NAS that would be the best for me.
KR
Bartosz
For your requirements, two great entry level (slightly enhanced) NAS would be the Synology DS218play or Qnap TS-228A.
Make sure you get some NAS specific HDDs in there - both manufacturers have a 'compatibility' selector on their website, but both should work 'just fine' with WD Reds of Seagate BarraCudas

Of course you can always go higher spec if you want a little headroom for future growth / functionality, but I think you're better off starting with either of these that you could later 'demote' as a backup of a primary system if you decide to buy another in a couple of years.

For HDD selection you'll be wanting 2 drives the same size - where one drive actively copies the other (called Raid 1) - therefore the size of which should be double what you think you need. (So if you need 4TB of storage get 2x4TB drives - maybe add 50% to what you think you need to allow for expansion).

Don't forget to checkback on NASCompares for a buyer referral link whatever you decide upon. It'll save you having to shop around and gives something back in exchange for offering ongoing free advice.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Raid is not a backup, but it is a step in the right direction --
---------------------------------------------------------------------