Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice & Purchase

Hi Robbie,

I've been following your videos for a while as I consider the upgrade to a NAS system for my film production office in Kuwait.

A couple of years ago I was quite settled on my choice but then the pandemic hit and the change to remote working meant I no longer had the immediate need for NAS anymore, however things are coming back to normal now and I have a few imminent projects that would require several editors working on the same footage in one location.

I don’t need more than 3 terminals connected at the moment, however I want to future proof my purchase with at least 5-8 terminals connecting to the NAS in the future.

As we film a lot with Blackmagic and Arri cameras, I also need good performance from the NAS with heavy video files. We mainly edit with iMacs, however I do have the odd PC laptop laying around that we use for heavy graphics work occasionally.

In terms of storage and size of NAS im having a little internal conflict. I currently hold around 60TB of footage from my last 8 years of work, and selfishly I want the NAS to accommodate this and a copy of any future work I do. However maybe that is overkill and I should focus on just having 40-50 TB for my most important archives and future work (after RAID config size). I already own 120TB of drives for my current double back-up system so I don’t need a very safe extensive RAID configuration as I will maintain a single back-up on these drives.

I've been trying to update myself the last days on best NAS for video editing and definitely the options have grown in the last few years since I checked. Before I was looking at the TVS-128T-i7-32GB but from the newer models now I’m leaning between the TVS-H1688x-w1250-32g and the TS-H973AX - wondering what your opinion is on this or if I missed a better option out there from QNAP?

If you sell these, what would be the cost to ship out to me in Kuwait, including it being fully populated with the required hdd, ssd, etc (largest sizes) and a UPS system as power is very unstable here. Can use my Kuwait business license as well so should not need to pay any VAT.

Many thanks.
Yes, I would also recommend 88 series Qnap. It has 10gbe and an option for a Thunderbolt card. Similar options would be 72XT, 73A with 10gbe upgrade or new 874 model.
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/?conditions=2-5,3-3

You can have several RAIDs too. Keep and old data on its own volume if need to.
The internal NVMe SSD can be used for caching or storage. So many video editors install OS, and apps and do live projects using NVMe. But those with bigger projects use NVMe to cache their HDD volumes.

I hope this helps.