Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What NAS to get for photo backup

I don't regularly make money with my photos...yet, but I'm more than a photo hobbiest, creating wildlife and landscape images. I've got to find a good backup solution for my gigs of images and Lightroom catalog that are currently stored on 1TB SSD drives. My day job is not photography, but I might be able to put a NAS on my work network (maybe) and keep my images off-site from home where I do my image editing after hours.
Which NAS or storage solution is for me? are all NAS drives RAIDs? Why are some raw drives called NAS drives and others labeled as "performance" or "gaming" drives?
-Joel G.
Yes, the beauty of the NAS is its multipurpose/ multi users functionality. There is a choice of RAID options. You can go for the maximum storage option with RAID0 or JBOD or you can have 1-2 drive protection with RAID5/6. Or SHR will allow different size drive mixing if you only start with 1-3 drives and have few bays empty.
The real question is the speed you expect/need. You could start with very basic ds420 that will work at 1GbE speeds. Or you can go for 10gbe or Thunderbolt-based models such as 473A. 472XT and Soon Synology ds923+.

I hope this helps.