Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Spec out a New NAS

Hello!
I've recently become interested in setting up a NAS for myself. I'm new to the networking side of computing but not new to computers. I have a Jellyfin media server currently running off a windows desktop but offloading that to a NAS would be the main usecase. I'd also like to be able to back up my devices to the NAS, and set it up as Network Storage so I can access files remotely.

I've been doing a good deal of research into which would be best for my usecase. I was looking at the Synology DS 220+ primarily but I am hesitant as the software seems less customizable in some ways. Is there a different product or company I should look into that can fit my usecase well? I like to be able to have the customizability, and having an upgrade path is important for me as well.

Budget is for just NAS, not including drives, and is somewhat flexible if the right product for me is more expensive. Ideally, I think a 2 or 4 bay NAS would be best for me.
If you want a little more ability to customise, then QNAP fits the bill, unless you want near total customisability - then you're heading down the TrueNAS route and can practically build it yourself. Robbie's done a few videos on TrueNAS that are worth watching, if nothing else, to eliminate that option or enlighten you to another way of setting up a home NAS as opposed to an 'out of the box' solution.

As a comparable models to choose from there's the TS-x53e, TS-x53d or TD x464. All available in 2 or 4 bay models.
The 53d & 64 ranges having the ability for RAM upgrades later and expansion slots that will allow your NAS to last just that bit longer, or slot additional features into. Like NVMe SSD caching, faster network ports etc....

Network storage and backing up other devices are what NAS was invented for - but they are capable of sooooo much more now and there's literally 100s of apps you can add.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Raid is not a backup, but it is a step in the right direction --
---------------------------------------------------------------------