Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Multi Drive Size NAS needed

I am looking for a 4 to 6-bay NAS that supports HDD of different sizes in RAID 5 configuration and allow for expansion as I am able to purchase larger drives. The NAS must be capable of transcoding PLEX media up to 4K on-the-fly. The biggest must-have is dependability, currently on QNAP TS-251 with 4GB RAM and it is a nightmare!

Items I would like:
2 LAN ports with a minimum of 1GB each
USB expansion capability
Cloud support
Remote Access

You offer the best information I have found on the web regarding NAS's. However, I am completely lost in the sea of QNAP, Synology, and TerraMaster. Plus the idea of having to purchase 4 or 6 of the same size HDD when I have 4 to 6 HDD ranging from 3TB to 10TB is just not in my budget. I want to get all 10TB HDD at some point but not in budget. I need the NAS to work for me not me for it.

Thank you in advance for your advice and great content.
If you're already on a TS-251 you have the option to migrate your entire system to a newer higher spec QNAP without having to transfer all your data over a pipe - assuming the configuration is remotely to your liking. If it isn't start again and as you set it up avoid those niggling configurations your stuck with from you old NAS.

Once you've migrated that RAID 1, you can use the QNAP Tools to expand to RAID 5 - but that 3rd disc MUST be the same size (or larger) than your current RAID configuration. After that, you can expand your existing RAID, or add new discs as you see fit and as the budget allows.

The TS-x53D and TS-x64 range (4 or 6 bay) would be quite a step up from what you have - and have expandability for the future needs as well. Your 2 x 1GB request is pretty much NAS Entry level there, so no problems with that regard. In many cases, ports are faster than that, or there's 4. The above 2 NAS Ranges come with 2 x 2.5GBe.

USB you can simply plug in a single HDD / Enclosure, or QNAP has a range of expansion units (TR or TL range) that you can extend RAID capability. Either by USB or SATA interface, but plenty of scope in each.

Cloud support is standard in QTS 5+ - just Mount in File Station, or link for sync / backup in Hybrid Backup Sync. If you're using a business cloud solution, check the compatibility, but all the popular ones are covered.

Remote access - there are MANY ways to do this, depending on what you need to do.
1. Qnaps myqnapcloud - log into their web site and get to your NAS from there
2. QVPN - set your NAS as a VPN host you connect to. Once on the VPN it's like being on your home network
3. Run a VM on your NAS - remote desktop to it (requires port forwarding or a DMZ via your router)
4. Upnp via the router (considerably less safe) where you tick boxes in your NAS settings and things are magically available to you remotely.

Biggest advice - If you can connect remotely, so can the rest of the world - keep it as locked down as possible and make sure the first thing you do is create a Brand New custom admin user (without admin in the username) with a complex password, like a whole sentence of upper / lower / numeric / special characters, add 2 factor authentication and then disable the factory admin user or at the very least change the password at least as complex as your new account and enable two factor authentication.

Obviously, if you're 'done' with QNAP, then the Synology DS920+ is the nearest equivalent that's just as capable, but you're definitely starting from scratch and can't transfer the drives you have until they're empty.

Hope this was helpful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Raid is not a backup, but it is a step in the right direction --
---------------------------------------------------------------------