Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Speed and capability

I have a Synology DS216Play, 2 questions.

1. Generally I need help to speed the NAS up. What can I do to improve its performance, especially around 4K videos or is this NAS too old for 4K? I use Plex and often get a message that its not powerful enough to play the video.

2. Can I add more RAM as it's the standard amount it came with (1024MB? Also, can I use a smaller SSD for the system and maybe for Plex meta data to improve it? Can I add ram and use RAM transcoding?

I have no idea how to do any of this stuff and could really do with some help or advise. If I simply need to upgrade I would consider that but if I can adjust settings or add RAM etc. that's the best for now.

Thanks for your help,
David
Yes, this is an old NAS. Using SSD would improve things a little, but not much. You can not upgrade RAM on this model, and it would not help. CPU is too slow.
You could get Nvidia Shield TV and use this NAS as a source for all movies that is linked to it. Or you can make sure that your TV supports all of the videos so there is no need for transcoding. Maybe you need a new TV.

I hope this helps.