Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cheap NAS to NAS backup

Hi,

I have pulled the plug on replacing my Drobo 5D with a DS1522+. It will be here later today. At present I can backup the 5D with BackBlaze. This won't be an option with the NAS. As I will have 5x 3TB drives spare from the Drobo 5d I was wondering if you could recommend a unit that could house these drives and be used to backup the 1522+. I don't need to backup everything on the 1522+
Synology do the DX517 expansion unit that basically extends the storage of your NAS.

It does mean that it's managed by your NAS, so effectively makes any backup another copy managed by the same device.

You can still utilize BackBlaze with Synology - here's a link for how to connect (I think it'll work with what you have already)
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-to-co...d-storage/

Depending on how much stuff you want to backup you could go for something simple like the DS220j or DS420j and then utilize the Synology software to backup the file shares you want on an active / scheduled basis. Thereby having two independent NAS in different rooms. Both could take periodic snapshots based on how much available storage you have.

I'd always recommend "scheduled" instead of "active sync" for backups so you don't accidentally choke your own bandwidth while you're still using it.

Any spare drives - just use a HDD enclosure and backup via USB any critical data that you can then store at someone else's house in case of a major disaster. If you have 2 spare drives just update and then rotate them every time you visit.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Raid is not a backup, but it is a step in the right direction --
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[Update]
Hi Guys,

I am setting up my new Synology DS1522+ and trying to following your best practice regarding different accounts for different services and shares. As a Mac user I have found a snag. If I mount the family share, I can’t mount the Plex share as the Mac will try and login with the account for the family share.

I have found this command and it gets around this issue.

smb://<newuser>:*@10.0.1.32
For example
smb://<family>:*@10.0.1.32
smb://<plex>:*@10.0.1.32

Works a treat. I thought you find this interesting.

Best wishes