Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology set up for Video Editing

I need some advice on setting up a new video editing network. I have 2-4 editors working in FCPX on Macs in a 500sqft facility in Singapore with very fast internet. We edit 4k videos all day, every day. We are also setting up an additional office in Australia to do the same thing. I am currently using old Promise drives that now don't work well with the new Macs (they work sometimes and sometimes don't even boot which means they are unreliable). This has caused so much stress that I literally had a stroke a month ago and wound up in the hospital with bleeding in my brain (I wish I was kidding). I need to move on to something that is reliable and fast. I want 500-1000mb/s for each of the editors. 2-4 editors. I want them all to be able to edit at the same time. I want auto backup daily to the cloud. What do I buy and how do I set it up? I'm happy to pay for advice is that advice is valuable and actionable. Thanks, Alex
I would recommend looking at Xeon-based systems. Both Qnap and Synology have rack and desktop versions of this. With multiple 10gbe (dual LAN) cards installed you will have enough to connect everyone via dedicated cable or via the switch. Those with MAC setup often choose Qnap 1688X with thunderbolt ports. On Synology side DS3622xs+ or RS 21xs+ from rackmount range. Synology might be easier to use and maintain. While Qnap with a little bit of IT interference might have better hardware for the same price.

I hope this helps.