Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help me choose a NAS for my father's business

My father runs a Printing and Packaging business, we manufacture cartons, labels, stickers etc. for product packaging purposes.
All the artworks are prepared in CorelDRAW, so that's the most used software by our team. Other than this there's Adobe Photoshop, Accounting software etc.
The team consists of 5 graphic designers, and all them need to access these CorelDRAW files which, as of now, they access through local networking.
But we need NAS to have backup of a lot of files and artworks and then we also need the data to be present in a safe place because now if a system fails then networking stops... And also, my father should be able to access files from home, ofc NAS provides that but I am unable to select NAS based on speed and performance. We do need smooth work after installing NAS too, the file should open in the same time as if it is in the local computer itself.

I did contact QNAP India and Synology India, they told me two uncomparable models. QNAP suggested a 4 bay TS-473/453D NAS, while Synology suggested something cheaper would do fine like the Synology DS720+.

So please suggest me what should I buy?
These Synology and Qnap models are very similar in performance. If you have an IT person available he could configure your Qnap to be safe enough for remote access. Otherwise, Synology will be a better way to go. Both Systems allow remote access. I would recommend using VPN service. This will mount your NAS on your remote computer similar as it was local drive. The speed will depend on your internet upload/download performance. If you want something faster then 100MB/s locally, you can consider 473A series with 10gbe card or DS1522+ with 10gbe card.

I hope this helps.