Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RS1221RP+ successor / can you migrate from desktop to rackmount NAS

Hi team, love your videos.  Have watched huge numbers of them.  Where I work, we have a DS920+ in place plus the DX517 expansion.  The DS920+ does a lot, file storage, surveillance, amongst a bunch of other things.  I think we will need to upgrade to something more powerful, and as the company has just moved to a rack0based system, something like the RS1221RP+ seemed logical.  I had a couple of questions I was hoping you may be able to help me with:

1.  It looks like the RS12XX series gets an update every two years.  So it probably would make sense to wait for the "RS1223RP+" at this stage in RS12XX lifecycle.  Have you heard anything about an RS1223 and am I right in believing that something like that may be released early next year?

2.  If we do move to an RS12XX, can I just pull the drives out of the DS920+ and plug them straight into the RS system?  Otherwise the cost of the replacement drives will be quite significant, not to mention just how long it would take to copy across the 10's of TB's of data.

3.  I am just trying out the Synology C2 cloud as off-site backup.  However, transfer speeds seem extremely slow, around 10 MB/s and we have a 900 MB/s connection.  So it can take a couple of days for Hyperbackup to transfer the data.  I really need the backup to be hugely faster to enable a nightly backup.  At the moment, other backup's get paused while the system waits for the C2 backup to complete.  I was wondering if you'd heard of this being an issue with C2 (in which case I'll need to look for another option)?  I suppose I could change the C2 backup so that it was only a weekly backup, and then just let it run the entire weekend.  But if other people are seeing much faster speeds then I will happily spend the time trying to work out why this particular transfer is so slow.

Thanks again for any quick help you may be able to provide!
So far we have heard about these two: RS2423+ and RS2423RP+.
You can migrate from desktop to rackmount NAS as long as the packages match. And they do most of the time unless you have value series Realtek CPU

Here are groups that allow drive migration between each other in each group.
Package architecture group definitions
Group 1: Armada370, Armada375, Armada38x, ArmadaXP, Comcerto2k
Group 2: Armada37xx, rtd1296
Group 3: Apollolake, Avoton, Braswell, Broadwell, Broadwellnk, Broadwellntbap, Bromolow, Cedarview, Denverton, Geminilake, Grantley, Purley, R1000, V1000, X86
Regarding slow C2 backup, I didn't know about it. You may look into backup providers that actually have a server nearby/ or at least in the same country.
Maybe Backblaze or Acronis or even a second NAS somewhere remotely.

I hope this helps.

https://kb.synology.com/en-uk/DSM/tutori...nchor_id22
https://kb.synology.com/en-uk/DSM/tutori...y_NAS_have