Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Qnap Ts 464

Hi Nascompares,

I bought QNAP TS-464 weeks ago (this NAS was way over my budget, but I just love the hardware on this one)
Because of this, I can only buy M.2 ssd and RAM at the moment and use my 2 x External HD as storage via usb (all my files are here)
Could I get your advice on below?

I'm saving money to buy:
2 x M.2 NVme 2280
2 x 8GB RAM
4 X 10TB WD Red Plus

I'll mainly use it for Plex, photo sync, QuMagie, and personal storage.
For my purchase, I have options below:

Option 1:
2 x 8GB RAM
2 x M.2 NVme (500GB each)

Option 2:
2 x 8GB RAM
1 x M.2 NVme (1TB) - buy additional 1TB SSD later on.
Note: this 1TB is $18 cheaper than 2x 500GB

Option 3:
1 x M.2 NVme (500GB) - buy additional 500GB later on
1 x WD Blue 2TB 2.5" Internal SSD

Questions:
1. Is it possible to run QTS on just 1 M.2 NVme SSD? your article on this says that it requires two?
2. For my use-case, can I get away on just buying WD Blues instead? If I'm not going to do any heavy loads on this NAS?

Thanks a lot
NVMe SSD can be used for caching or for storage. Can not do both at the same time. If you decide to use it for storage, caching might not be necessary since you already read/write data from this fast media. If you use it for caching - single SSD will only allow read cache. Dual SSD = read+write.
If you use it for storage, a single SSD is enough (having two is imply safer). Choosing 500GB vs 1TB is up to you. For home use, both capacities are sufficient.
You can install QTS and apps on this single NVMe and use HDDs for additional storage space.
WD blue drives are will work. But I would use them in RAID0/ RAID1/ RAID10 and not in RAID5 though.

I hope this helps.
(09-17-2022, 10:30 AM)Enquiries Wrote: Hi Nascompares,

I bought QNAP TS-464 weeks ago (this NAS was way over my budget, but I just love the hardware on this one)
Because of this, I can only buy M.2 ssd and RAM at the moment and use my 2 x External HD as storage via usb (all my files are here)
Could I get your advice on below?

I'm saving money to buy:
2 x M.2 NVme 2280
2 x 8GB RAM
4 X 10TB WD Red Plus

I'll mainly use it for Plex, photo sync, QuMagie, and personal storage.
For my purchase, I have options below:

Option 1:
2 x 8GB RAM
2 x M.2 NVme (500GB each)

Option 2:
2 x 8GB RAM
1 x M.2 NVme (1TB) - buy additional 1TB SSD later on.
Note: this 1TB is $18 cheaper than 2x 500GB

Option 3:
1 x M.2 NVme (500GB) - buy additional 500GB later on
1 x WD Blue 2TB 2.5" Internal SSD

Questions:
1. Is it possible to run QTS on just 1 M.2 NVme SSD? your article on this says that it requires two?
2. For my use-case, can I get away on just buying WD Blues instead? If I'm not going to do any heavy loads on this NAS?

Thanks a lot

It sounds like you have a great long term plan, but you could consider the following stages:

Stage 1:
2 x 8GB RAM
2 x M.2 NVme (500GB each) (Raid 1)
Get your system up and running - make all the custom config changes and install the apps you want and use the NVMEs as both your storage and for app installs. Storage is limited, but you will have one slick NAS.

Stage 2:
A pair of 1TB (or larger) NAS SSDs in Raid 1 in bays 1 & 2 as a new Storage Pool (1) .
Migrate all your apps / data to the new storage Pool and then wipe the NVMEs and configure for SSD Caching - so the NVMEs are for speed and the Storage Pool is for operation & storage.

Stage 3:
Add sizable NAS HDDs in slots 3&4 as a new Storage Pool (2) in a Raid 1 array
Transfer all your data to Storage Pool 2, but keep your apps running on the SSDs

What you end up with is a 16GB NAS using 2 x NVME for super fast caching (read + write), 2 SSDs (mirroring) for fast app processing and 2 HDDs (mirroring) for mass data storage.
Not only do you have (likely) the fastest running TS-464, but you also have redundancy built in. For piece of mind backups of your critical data - just plug a USB WD My Passport or WD My Passport Ultra into the usb periodically and run a data sync - then unplug and lock away securely.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Raid is not a backup, but it is a step in the right direction --
---------------------------------------------------------------------