Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What NAS to buy?

Hello, I am looking to buy a NAS server for my personal data and primarily to store/back up personal photos and videos instead of committing to a subscription-based solution through a large company such as Dropbox, Apple's iCloud etc. I have especially looked at some of the Synology models since I have been recommended them from a friend and they seem to be the overall best choice in regard to UI and reliability. In this regard, my primary concern is to be as "future proof" as possible (even though I know there ain't genuinely such thing as being completely future-proofed given that technology is being developed at an almost alarming rate?) while also having the ability to expand my storage in the future when/if needed. The NAS may also be capable of occasionally streaming music/movies if it won't make it too expensive.

Looking forward to hearing from youSmile

Best regards, Victor Lorenzen
Yes, technology seems to evolve rapidly, but few things change fairly slow. We have been suck with 1GbE ethernet for 20 years. It is slowly shifting to 2.5GbE, but it might take another 5 years. Also, 4K videos and screens came out 10 years ago, but we are still using 1080p most of the time. Moving to 8K will take another 10 years.
Whatever you buy now will be relatively future-proof. Even simple DS118/ ds218play comes with a 4k media chip and 1GbE LAN. DS220+ has more powerful hardware and will enable additional functionality such as snapshots, active backup functions and virtualisation etc

I hope this helps.