Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hue Bridge, Synology and Plex Media Server

Hi Robbie and Eddie and everyone in the NASCompares Community

I recently bought a Hue Bridge, but as soon as I connect it to my router and network (wired connection) it breaks my Plex Media Server. For some reason it instantly disables the remote access.

I run my Plex Media Server on a DS1019+ - which before I got the Hue Bridge was working great.
I had to manually port forward the server - which I managed having very little idea what I was doing :-)
I am on Hyperoptic, with an IPV4 for a static IP address.

I had a look online for advice, but as I am nowhere near being a network savvy expert, I was really unsure how to fix it.

I would really appreciate some advice and instructions on how to fix this, please.

I'll happily buy coffees.

Kind regards,
Simon
I will be completely straight with you, YOUR question is one that (in nearly for years of running this service) that I am REALLY having difficulty answering. I have run alot of smart home bits, setting up IoT systems and containers on NAS, as well as helping people set up their 3rd party OS Smart homes (and the Alexa/google home wave). But when it comes to Phillips Hue setups, they have always been something of a puzzler to me. It's particularly annoying as I know you have paid a donation for a faster reply (that I can happily refund tbh, as you are not getting support right now!).

That said, I do have some experience in Plex and Smart Home /IoT and in cases like this, you often find is that either:

1) The plex remote access settings (either with DNLA on/off and or remote access restrictions (as Plex still needs to 'bounce' off their own server, even locally) is being over-riden by the Hue gateway. Sometimes it is the other way around (which is much more command based to resolve, as the GUI of plex is easier to manage).

2) Hue has opened/changed port openings on your primary router (if you are using a modem/ISP Router as a gateway) and therefore Plex has lost its own usual tunnel - if you disable/remove the Hue from the equation, I assume Plex returns to normal?

3) The static IP that your NAS has assigned conflicts with your systems remote access identity (I know how silly that sounds) when HUe is in the middle and therefore the address of your server is changing (therefore making established access incorrect)

The best guide available (that will at least allow you to do troubleshooting on your setup) is that one - https://npaul.uk/2020/04/using-plex-and-hue-together/

Again, I appreciate that the above is not really a solution, but a list of hypotheses, but without being on hand/site to run a bunch of tests and checks that are quite specific to your setup, it is hard to give much more information. If you are able to resolve this (using the suggestions above OR via alternative means, it would be great if you can report back with a summary, as then this can be used for other users in a similar position (which will of course be attributed to you and a donation/coffee/donation set up towards you, obviously).

Again, I apologise for the lack of a black-and-white solution to your Question. Have a great week.