Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photography backup

Hi I’ve been watching your YouTube videos for just over a year and waiting for the synology ds922+ to make an appearance but since it looks likely to be next year I was wondering if the ds920+ would still be ok for photos.

I’m looking at synology as it seems very beginner friendly and I like to idea of being able to add drives later on without needing to match capacity, basically what I want to do is have a central point for all photos to be accessed by different computers etc so edits will be made over the network in Lightroom Classic directly on the NAS. Will it be fast enough or am I better off getting the ds1522+ which I think can be upgraded to 10GbE or will that not matter? I’ll be copying images at around (20mb each) 64gb or less at a time onto the NAS but as long as it’s not going to take hours a few minutes won’t make a difference to me. I’d like it to be reasonably future proof and would rather spend more now than need to upgrade in a couple of years. What would you suggest?

Also is there somewhere you recommend buying from other than Amazon?

Thanks in advance
Katie
Yes, people often ask if new DS922+/DS923+ will feature multimedia-friendly hardware. With photos the hardware is not that important. You could as well edit those photos over 1GbE connection. Profesional photographers do have photos with size bigger than 100MB per photo. With new cameras becoming more storage hungry, you may consider 10gbe enabled device such as ds1522+. If you are certain about file size staying the same, you can go for ds920+.

I hope this helps.