Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First NAS

Hi,

I watch alot of your vids on youtube and read your posts.
Im looking to buy my own NAS drive from home use.
Primarily i wish to use the NAS to store and organise mine and my families photos.
This will be from multiple devices and with multiple users.
I wish to have multiple users have their own storage and backup (which has to be automatic) from their iPhone devices. This would need to include both photos and videos.
Then be able to use facial recognition to make managing and organising easier.
I also dabble in IT so I would like to see if I can have virtual server setup, either windows or Linux.
I have installed Synology devices before for people (218 Play and 720+) but those had been for business uses.

I might wish to dabble in Plez which would need to be viewed from either mobile devices and Android TV's.

In your esteemed opinion, which make and model would you think best suits my needs.

I thank you in advance

Faizal
Yes, you should consider Quad core Celeron based models as a minimum. This includes DS720+/ DS920+ models. Synology have great apps to backup your phone multimedia. It also allows easy remote access for those files. If you want those virtual machines to be as fast as possible, do consider Xeon based models such as ds1621xs+. The price of these might not be very attractive for home use.

I hope this helps.