Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP configuration with 4.3.3 build

Hello guys,
I'm looking for some advice, I've watched several or your videos but I would prefer to have some REAL humans advice.

I bought an old TS-419P II running 4.3.3 QNAP.

So far so good, my server is running - currently in automatic IPs. My goal is to set permanently my movies with a free sofware - I'm thinking of KODI and, sometimes only, open my server to very few IRL friends to share stuff.

So here are my questions :

1) Is there any easy solution to check and switch on/off internet connection? Even it might be simple, I couldn't make sure my server is online.

Local is perfectly working though.

2) When I'll be able to tell when the server is On/Off to the web, which protocol should I use ? Again, I aim only to "open" it sometimes only.

3) As my server is startting to get old, there are many apps I can't have. So far I still manage to play HD movies by my TV BOx with the VLC app very easily with absolute no lag. I would like to keep that way, what is the best protocol you would advise in such case? I've read UPnP and DLNA are the lighter ways to stream but also the more "dangerous"? How would you build this?

4) And finally, do you think Kodi is the best free and light app to play movies from my QnAP?

Thank you very you much for the work you do, it is very enlightening,

Cheers from France!

Charles

Yes, so many people worry about exposing the NAS to the internet. But with a firewall activated your risks are quite low. You can enable only certain IP or IP groups to gain access.
Alternatively, you can get Dreamachine or Synology router that will allow blocking most malicious attacks. You can then enable or disable access at your will.
The best access for media in my opinion is DLNA.
Kodi is a simple player, it gains access only to what you have shared. The is no real security risk with it since generally, it is a local player just like VLC.

I hope this helps.