Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

replacement NAS advice

I currently use 1TB Netgear ReadyNAS bought in 2013 and it's running fine, though I get complaints from Roon at times saying it can't stream music from the device.

I use the NAS as a repository for backups of my main computer, for backups of two web-sites (which are now largely static and don't change) and for storing photos and music. The music I now stream from a dedicated Roon Core running on a micro computer.

I use the NAS to create accounts for the two users in the house, with their own storage areas. I don't host a mail service nor a web server nor any outward facing services.

ReadyNAS stopped updates some time ago so I'm feeling it's about time to upgrade and any advice you can give would be much appreciated. My current thinking is that I perhaps only need two bays perhaps with 2TB each for basic Raid functionality. I had been thinking the Synology DS220j or the QNAP TS-231P3.

Thanks, Rob
Yes, you could use a basic J series Synology or Qnap p3 series for simple backups. If you need extras like snapshots, Windows images type of backups then plus series would allow that.
Otherwise, RAID1 on Synology will be all that you need including safe remote access.

I hope this helps.