Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology - Disk question

I’m am/was Drobo user 5N2 and had to purchase new technology as Drobo is not supporting 5N2 in new Apple OS environment.

I watched your videos and decided on the Synology DS1522+. I’m a retired IT professional Retired for 6 years and I’m looking for simple solution/maintenance.

I was planning on buying Seagate Ironwolf Pro 6TB but am leaning for Synology 4TB after hearing about compatibility of non-synology drives……. In my previous life as a Chief Information Officer (n0n-technical) integrated vs. not integrated makes for a happy life. I did call Synology and Seagate about the comparability of the 6TB pro drive but I didn’t get a worm and fuzzy response as the drive is not on their list.

So the question is in todays world is the firmware on the drive something to be concerned about around Synology NAS? I would guess if you buy 5 6TB Pro’s the luck of acquiring drives with the same firmware would be lucky and I wouldn’t have any idea how to update it vs the Synology drives are fully integrated and Synology handles the firmware upgrades internal to the DS1522+.

It sounds like I answered my own question e.g. go Synology drives but I thought I would ask Synology experts the question.

Last but not least I am planning to use SHR vs RAID 5.

Thank you in advance

Wayne
Yes, it will be difficult to have exact firmware that is listed on Synology compatibility list. But it is fairly easy to update the firmware if you connect the drive via SATA or USB docker. Simple app.
Synology will work with any drives. They might show a warning if drive is not listed in their table. But also that can be updated by editing their compatibility list on a NAS system itself.
Synology drives (Toshiba drives actually) can have the firmware updated via DSM. But all it is, simple Toshiba firmware relabeled.

I hope this helps.