Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Different modles

Greetings,
First time NAS buyer, I am debating between a qnap TS-653D-4G 6 Bay +16g memory upgrade +4x 16tb HDD ($1600)
Or a QNAP TVS-872X-i3-8G-US Desktop 8-Bay NAS/iSCSI IP-SAN, Intel® Core™ i3 4-Core Processor, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 10GbE*1 (Base-T), 1GbE*2
+3x 6tb HD ($1800)

I am almost exclusively using it to digitize my movie collection (currently mostly SD and 3d blue ray) and use as a media server. There is little chance of multiple users at the same time or simultaneous read and write processes. Also, either one will have greater hardware then I currently have on my computers
4k ability/useably is very desirable as well as 60hz hdmi output (both have) and durability are strong considerations.

The 653 seems to have everything I need but will be maxed out immediately . If I got the other it would be with the idea that it would be in service 10+ years and a slow build up of hardwear.

Also, the reason for the 18tb HD is I currently have access to a deal where they are $14.50ish per TB, the 6tb ones are only slightly more expensive but my budget would have already been blown. (All are segate ironwolf)

Thoughts?

If you only use first-party apps, Celeron or Intel core i models will do a good job. But if you need it for Plex, it will only work locally. Transcoding 4k will require something more powerful or a dedicated GPU. TVS-873A allows PCIe GPU upgrades, and it is cheaper. But you can also upgrade 872XT model.
Streaming via HDMI is not very user-friendly, but it is possible. We find streaming via DLNA more reliable though.

I hope this helps.