Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

nas suggestion

Hello,
Thanks for your videos, you are doing an amazing job!

i have a small company in greece based on wedding photography and videography.

I preown a drobo 5d3, but is starting getting crazy after stop supporting, they are terrible.

I am looking for a nas, as a main backup system + work and export directly via the nas used on a macbook.

I am looking for a good perfomance speeds.

I need 6bays nas, so i found this one DS1621+.

I need to know what the perfomance will be on read and write ?(on mbs)I was thinking for raid 5? will be enough to work directly on it? I have ironwolf seagate hdd disks?

What else should i include to have all the neccesary perfomance tools? nvm? 10gbe card?

Regards,
Dimitris
Yes, you will need to upgrade your NAS with 10GbE cards. You can connect directly or via the 10gbe switch. Some people prefer TVS-672XT which comes with Thunderbolt connection. This is a simpler and faster way. But if you need something similar to Drobo then Synology Plus series will allow things like drive mixing, snaphoots, and all kinds of backup functions.
The best speed can be achieved using SSD, but WD Red plus or Ironwolf in RAID5/6 will get close to 10gbe speeds anyway. NVMe caching is something that will also give a boost for reptious file transfers.

I hope this helps.