Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best for cameras, iCloud backup, and Plex

Hello I’ve been watching your videos for about a year now. I have always wanted a NAS for Plex and for iCloud backup for my family and my phones. Tired of paying $10 a month to apple.

I also have small business that I want to get security cameras for. I have the “box store” DVRs currently. It’s a small supermarket for there would be about 20 cameras or so. Is that going to be too many?

Lastly I have a large movie library. I wanted to use Plex so my family and I could enjoy it.

I have had my eye on the DS1520+ and have looked a little at the DS1522. I think the 1520 is better for Plex correct?

My question is what would you recommend I get? I am not against getting separate ones for home and each of my businesses. I want to make sure to get the best for what I need and thought who best to ask than the guy I watch and learned everything I know about them from.

Love the videos!! Thank you so much
Yes, DS1520+ is older, but still better for multimedia if you often access videos while away from home. DS1522+ is made for local use only (or videos up to 1080p).
You can connect 20 cameras if you want to, but you will need significant storage space to store 2 -4 weeks of continuous footage. You can save only movement-triggered footage via FTP if you want to save on space and pay nothing for camera licences. But maybe Reolink DVR would be a better for that many cameras (or have both systems).
You can also use a NAS for Time machine backups. It will not replace icloud in exact way. But you can backup up and offload all videos and photos. Apps and related data will not be backed up to the NAS. But you can use free cloud storage for app backups though free of charge.

I hope this helps.