Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Advice

We are two churches that meet in the same building, and we want to share the same NAS. We've decided that starting out, each church won't need more than 2 TB, but it could be good to start out with 4 TB/church or more.

It will be used to share files amongst people on staff not in the office. We don't have regular office hours, and most of us do work for the church outside of the church.

We will share video and large audio files.

Because of sharing between two different organizations, it seems like one requirement would be ease of access and setup. Ease of use of software plays into that as well.

I haven't set up a NAS before, and have beginner knowledge of networking.
Hi! So, if the data that is being shared is not too multimedia intensive (so if it is JUST scans, PDFs, emails, docx, photos, etc), then pretty much any NAS will do that has at the very least 2GB of memory and an Intel Processor. You COULD go lower, but without knowing the extent of your file frequency/type and scale of these users accessing (i.e. 1 church = X people), I would play it safe and go for the DS220+ right now and 2x 4TB HDDs. Then one church can have the NAS onsite and access via the internet/network and the other can access remotely over the internet and using Synology Quickconnect. Hope that helps.

Apologies for the slow reply buddy - Eddie (the Web Guy) covers ASKNC much more than me, whilst I make vids and articles etc. However, he is on a long, LONG overdue holiday this week and I am filling in as much as I can.
Have a great week! Did I help? 'Support NAS Passion' or you can also get me a ☕ Ko-fi. Thanks again for your visiting NASCompares.com.
Robbie
NASCompares
Simply Passionate About Storage