Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

dsm v7.01-upd5 vs 7.1++ on ds920+ 3rd party hdd/ssd/NVMecache

Greatings NASCompares / Robby, love the ytube chan. and following since school edu times from back in the days, i "just" purchesed a ds920+ on aug 2021 and migrated slowlly from ds212-> ds712-> ds920+ 4Gb/512GB readCache and lov all the tips and trix from this awesome chan Smile) keep the contenct up!!

small consern abt updates of dsm v. from back in the days v6-> and currect v 7.01-upd5 , this is what im using, but dont wanna lag behind on old dsm v cous of security von.., but dont want the hassel of the "unverified" + vol flags critical blablabla, im reading this article "synology-3rd-party-hard-drives" but not sure what is the safe v. of dsm before the 3rd party hdd issues starts kindly advise.. on "dsm v7.01-upd5 vs 7.1++ on ds920+ 3rd party hdd/ssd/NVMecache"

on bays 1+2, have SHR raid1 vol1 btrFS 3TB + 4TB both NAS IronWolfs, all is good no issues, no warnings Smile

on bay 3, have a test iScsi 256Gb 2.5" laptop drv as vol2
on bay 4, have a test SHR 2TB 3.5" old drv from 2011 as test vol3

big shot-out from norway, oslo NASCompares fan-boy Smile)
Hi buddy! Thanks for the kind words and for watching/reading the NASCompares content - you are a bloody hero! Back to your Question. So, first off, you do NOT need to worry about HDD/SSD verification/support messages, as the DSM 7.1 (and future) updates are NOT retroactive, i.e they will not change the setup of your device and the changes to HDD support/compatibility only affect NAS systems released after the 2021 SERIES (and even then, not all of them). I would definitely keep your firmware updated and unless you are using specific USB devices and/or Synology Moments/Photo Station (eg 'thing' recognition in the AI), then you should upgrade to DSM 7.1!

Apologies for the slow reply buddy - Eddie (the Web Guy) covers ASKNC much more than me, whilst I make vids and articles etc. However, he is on a long, LONG overdue holiday this week and I am filling in as much as I can.
Have a great week! Did I help? 'Support NAS Passion' or you can also get me a ☕ Ko-fi. Thanks again for your visiting NASCompares.com.
Robbie
NASCompares
Simply Passionate About Storage