Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Multifamily home setup

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I an apartment building with 5 units, and a next door building with 2 units. I have tried providing my tenant with a MESH system with Google FI but the internet connection isn't the best because of the walls and how old the building is. I am thinking about doing a wired CAT 5/6 to each apartment and doing a WAP in each apartment.

I have a Neatgear CM1000 cable modem. What switch, WAPs do you recommend? Should I use POE devices?

I also have other building with 4 apartments that is a few hundred feet away and I really do not want to pay for another internet connection if I do not have to. How do you suggest I do so considering the distance the outdoors....

Again thanks!
Good morning! So, this is a little tough to answer without knowing more about the building structure. Even if I recommend some good wireless access points and a good managing switch, its still going to be tough to recommend without an idea of scaling. Before you go ahead and spend a small fortune, how divided are these units (eg whole apartments in as-built condition with individual fuse boxes/mains)? As if it's a conversion, then powerline adapters would still be an option for you. This won't resolve the 2nd building hurdle though and even if you arrange powerline adapters, better WiFi access points as opposed to mesh to mesh - that 2nd building distance largely rules CAT out effectively and then you are looking at a hands on SFP style installation - you will almost certainly be better off with a 2nd internet connection there. Sorry I could not be more helpful/positive - email me on robbie (at) nc and we can discuss this off-site in a little more detail.

Apologies for the slow reply buddy - Eddie (the Web Guy) covers ASKNC much more than me, whilst I make vids and articles etc. However, he is on a long, LONG overdue holiday this week and I am filling in as much as I can.
Have a great week! Did I help? 'Support NAS Passion' or you can also get me a ☕ Ko-fi. Thanks again for your visiting NASCompares.com.
Robbie
NASCompares
Simply Passionate About Storage