Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First NAS Advice

Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first NAS and I would love to get some advice. I want to create my own cloud where I will be storing my files, NAS will probably have to support DDNS because my ip is dynamic. Is it also possible to divide hard drive in a way that part of it can be accessed only in local network e.g part of the files would be documents that I would like to keep on local network drive and edit it from my pc/mac or use some sort of synchronization.

I was considering QNAP TS-233, but I read they are a bit harder to configure and had some security issues. I also considered Synology DS220J, but it have very low amount of RAM
Hi mate. Apologies for the slow reply buddy - Eddie (the Web Guy) covers ASKNC much more than me, whilst I make vids and articles etc. However, he is on a long, LONG overdue holiday this week and I am filling in as much as I can. I'll keep it short and sweet - for a seamless experience that is still on a tighter budget, you are going to have to go for the Synology DS220+ for this. Aside from the time/stress/head-scratching you will avoid by going for it (it really is painfully simple to create the exact setup you described, especially with 'Synology Drive' and the iSSCSI manager. The QNAP TS-233 is still a good shout, but based on what you said, I think you will have a much more user-friendly setup and execution on this occasion with the DS220+. It is regularly on offer too.
Have a great week! Did I help? 'Support NAS Passion' or you can also get me a ☕ Ko-fi. Thanks again for your visiting NASCompares.com.
Robbie
NASCompares
Simply Passionate About Storage