Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

first-time NAS purchase

Hi guys, been watching your channel for a few days and decided to ask here as can't decide what to do.
I'm working from home as a 3D designer for a small home building company.

In my work I have a library of 10 TB of 3D models and textures that I use daily, loading and archiving, sharing with my colleague (he's from home too).

Where NAS might help at least that's what I think is having a dedicated shared storage space where we both can access the files, work on them and save them in the same place seamlessly.

I like the Synology 920+ but at the same time I see you've talked about Qnap options at better price points.

What would be easier to set up, maintain and utilize?

Thanks for your help, keep up with the work
George
Yes, NAS will allow you to create your own private cloud similar to Dropbox. Synology and Qnap both allow team folder sync which could be used for collaboration. Otherwise, you can set up a VPN to your NAS from both locations. You will both then be able to map the network drive similar to your external USB ports that feel locally accessible.
DS920+ is the most popular NAS out there. https://amzn.to/3SPhAq4 Probably thanks to its hardware and easy-to-use software. Also, remote access via their proxy servers is safe and easy.