Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wireless NAS drive

Hi Mate, Thank you for being kind enough to offer free advice on this subject. I’m looking for the NAS drive but I’m not sure if it any will work with the set-up I want so I’m hoping you might be able to tell me if it is possible or not.

Overview:
I am a videographer dealing a lot with brand and wedding footage. I typically edit from home but I do regularly find myself editing whilst away on the road, so I would like to upload XML files to the nas while on the go incase something happens to my machine whilst away.

The set-up:
As I will be transferring large amounts of data I am looking for a 4-bay NAS that will function primarily as an external drive (via TB4 or USBC) which will most probably be setup in RAID 5. However, because our router is in a different end of the house I would need a NAS which has the ability to connect to the internet wirelessly.

Is this possible or should I just stop looking for one now?

Also a smaller 2.5” set-up would be preferable but if it has to be 3.5” that’s not the end of the world. I currently already use external storage and dropbox but I would like to go the route of the NAS drive.

Any advice you can give would be massively appreciated!

Thanks again.
There are only two models that support Thunderbolt connectivity. It is TVS-472XT and Qnap 88X series. They used to have 2.5inch model, but people didn't buy it for some reason.
You can add PCIe WiFi card to this NAS to make it wireless. Or you can use Powerline adapters to connect via LAN even though there is no LAN sockets.

I hope this helps.