Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First time NAS purchase

Hi folks,

I’m looking to buy my first NAS, originally I was going to get a Synology 920+ but having watched a bounty of NASCompares videos I now realise it won’t meet my needs. I am hoping you can help guide me to the most suitable model for my needs.

I am looking for a NAS that allows me to back up a large home media collection (over 2000 blu rays and just under 200 4K discs) for ease of use. I will be using it 99% of the time through a local network and I have. HD Firestick, Chromecast, PS5, my TV even has the Plex app, so transcoding isn’t as much an issue as it straight playing large UHD files.

I’m using an old computer to stream Blu Rays to test out Plex and I have been ripping the discs through makemkv and leaving them at full size, (around 30GB for 90mins - bitrate around 30) not using handbrake as I want the same level of quality as the disc itself, so when I get to 4K I’m going to need some beefy specs from the NAS and hopefully one that can be upgraded later if needed.

I know I listed 36TB in the heading but preferably I’d go for at least a 6 bay (I’m looking at 8 bays at the moment) to allow me to expand the storage later, I will be utilising Raid, at least Raid 5 maybe Raid 6.

Basically I don’t mind spending the money now (and later to upgrade) but I don’t want to have to buy a whole new system within the next ten years.

Hopefully this makes sense, thanks for all the videos if I don’t hear from you I’m sure I’ll still make a good decision (I won’t be buying until late September I’d say) from what I garner from the videos.

All the best,
Stuart.
You may consider 73A series from Qnap https://amzn.to/3SLajaR
It can be easily upgraded with 10gbe card or GPU. Adding a graphics card is a very popular case at the moment. If you do decide to transcode those 4k videos, this would allow that.
You also get extras such as M.2, 2.5GBE and USB3gen2. It is a perfect NAS.

I hope this helps.