Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 Synology Setup - Unique Time to Start

Hi, I am in need of a backup solution for my household (2 adults, 3 elementary kids). I am looking for something that can do storage, cloud replacement, and heavy Google Photos replacement with AI. Possibly 1-3 lightweight Dockers (Tailscale a free self hosted VPN, PiHole, maybe Unbound). I am looking for two Synology systems, one for the home and one as an off-site backup. I already have three 10TB drives, and have up to 10Gbe available. I am in a pickle here with the new releases coming soon, but need a backup solution now as I have nothing.

I was thinking of only getting the off-site backup device now to tie me over until the new units release q4/q1. I was thinking a ds118 or ds120j now, and then later get a ds723+. However, I have zero experience with this and am looking for advice.

Thank you so much!
You will need Celeron (or faster CPU) based NAS such as DS220+ to be able to run docker. If you want to benefit from 10GbE speeds you will also need a port or PCIe upgrade slot (like ds1522+). Having a dual NAS system is a clever Plan. One can be a really basic J series NAS with no RAID and the other one could be a decent performance NAS such as any Plus series model.
You can then set up automatic data sync between them.

I hope this helps.