Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS1522+ with Apple TV Infuse Streaming

Hello and thank you!

I currently stream media from an aging imac to my apple tv using an app called Infuse. I also have about 8tb of photos stored an aging hard drive RAID (not NAS). I would like to get rid of the old imac and use a future NAS to hold my photos as well as my media to stream to the apple tv.

I am thinking about the new DS1522+ with 6 or 8TB drives in either raid 5 or 6. My biggest concern is the new processor in the DS1522+ which isn't as good for media streaming. But I've heard that Infuse puts all the transcoding work onto the apple tv so the NAS wouldnt have to do any transcoding any way. Does that mean the DS1522+ would work for me?

Second question. The WD Red Plus drives go from 5400rpm at 6TB to 7200rpm at 8TB. Is it worth getting the faster drives even though I don't really need the space?

Thank you!
Max
Yes, Infuse app is pretty Amazing. You can link it with your NAS directly or via Plex/Emby/Jellyfin. Transcoding will be handled on your MAC where this is app is installed. You will then us Airplay to send the video to your TV. No transcoding on your NAS is required as you would expect from a Plex app.
If you install Infuse app on your Apple TV, then respectively transcoding will be handled on Apple TV.
Models you can install Infuse on:
Apple TV HD (originally called 4th generation Apple TV) or Apple TV 4K (5th generation or 6th generation). If your Apple TV was released before 2015, it runs an older Apple TV software rather than tvOS, and won't get tvOS 14. You need at least tvOS 14.
HDD speed is not important. Slower is better since there will be less noise.