Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Storage for Photography

Hi, Im looking to set up an independent storage solution for Photographs (keen Amateur)

Currently using a MacBook Pro

Main camera is a Canon 5D Mk IV (which has built-in Wi-Fi and NFC to connect to laptop, or directly to selected image-sharing services. It can send images to clients and post to social media platforms.)

I was looking at a RAID 10 config. What system would you recommend?

Many Thanks

Mike
If you want to connect via Thunderbolt or 10gbe, I would recommend TVS-472XT with RAID10. or RAID6. Qnap is more suitable for MAC systems compared to Synology. Their software does not support additional functionality like space-saving mode on Qnap. You will also get extras like photo object recognition with Qnap devices.
(08-10-2022, 10:51 AM)ed Wrote: If you want to connect via Thunderbolt or 10gbe, I would recommend TVS-472XT with RAID10. or RAID6. Qnap is more suitable for MAC systems compared to Synology. Their software does not support additional functionality like space-saving mode on Qnap. You will also get extras like photo object recognition with Qnap devices.

Thanks for the info ed. Yes I was looking at your early 2022 recommendation QNAP TS-H973 AX

If I was to go with the TVS-472XT, what drives would you recommend?

TIA

Mike
(08-10-2022, 11:11 AM)Mikey C Wrote:
(08-10-2022, 10:51 AM)ed Wrote: If you want to connect via Thunderbolt or 10gbe, I would recommend TVS-472XT with RAID10. or RAID6. Qnap is more suitable for MAC systems compared to Synology. Their software does not support additional functionality like space-saving mode on Qnap. You will also get extras like photo object recognition with Qnap devices.

Thanks for the info ed. Yes I was looking at your early 2022 recommendation QNAP TS-H973 AX

TIA

Mike

WD Red Pro or Ironwolf Pro would be high-performance drives, but they also generate some noise. With photo editing, you could as well go for WD Red plus drives. 

I hope this helps.
(08-10-2022, 04:02 PM)ed Wrote:

TIA

Mike

WD Red Pro or Ironwolf Pro would be high-performance drives, but they also generate some noise. With photo editing, you could as well go for WD Red plus drives. 

I hope this helps.

Thanks ed. I see there have been quite a few negative comments on the Amazon QNAP page - hopefully these are unfounded

(08-10-2022, 04:02 PM)ed Wrote:

TIA

Mike

I hope this helps.

Thanks ed. I see there have been quite a few negative comments on the Amazon QNAP page - hopefully these are unfounded