Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TOS 5 or xpenology

Hi,
I have recently purchased the F5-221 to replace my no longer functional (resulted from a thunderstorm outages) HP n40L microserver.
I am have yet setting the terramaster up as i still waiting for the 8gb ram stick to arrive so i can upgrade the system from 2 to 10gb ram.
I am in the process to deciding which system to have the terramaster running on. I have read a few reviews about the new TOS 5 and terramaster user have successful running and happy with the running xpenology/dsm on their unit so am need some advice from you which is better to have my unit run on. I am after OS that once setup minimal maintenance is required and also easy to update.
Purpose of unit:
1. central backup point to backup photos from all e-devices from all family members, need ease of use as my 70 yo parents can backup from their phones as well.
2. central storage for video/movies so they can be played local as well as remotely
3. backup image of 2 laptops
Additional question: I have the Seagate barracuda 3TB x 3 in the N40L and it was formatted in use as mirror storage can i re-use them in the terramaster?

Sorry for asking so many questions in one go, I would appreciate your time and guidance with setting my Nas.

Cheers
Dat
Yes, Synology software will allow Windows image backups. Also, their mobile apps will have better quality. But things like quick-connect will not be available to you if you get xpenology.
Maybe you can consider TruNAS OS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWsiM5WTHRI

I hope this helps.
The unit that I have is only dual core, in your video you said use at least 2020 release unit and quad core so will my NAS able to handle TruNAS well?

Is it possible to do a video on xpenolgy for Terramaster?
Thanks
If you plan on using ZFS, you will need at least 6GB of RAM. Otherwise, you can also run FreeNAS/TruNAS on 2GB RAM. Same with CPU. I would rather go for quad core Celeron for ZFS as a minimum.

I hope this helps.