Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First time NAS buyer

Hi there,

I have a digital textile printing factory.

I am looking to purchase a NAS setup so I can use it to process & collect/store my digital artwork files which would be in a raw tiff format each ranging in size from 1 to 5 gb.

I currently have a 2013 Mac Mini running an Intel core i5 Ivy bridge processor with a 16GB DDR3 ram and a 2TB SSD; which I use to process my files utilising Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator & Wasatch Raster Image Processing on windows 10.

I have 3 external WD 5 TB ssd drives that are all connected to my Mac Mini USB 3.0 (5Gbps) ports, which I use to store the files for read access for printing; then I do a window share to 2 laptops that operate my digital printing machines. These laptops are connected to the modem router using 1Gbps lan connections.

Typically a 5 tb external drive has 4.54 gb available.; after extensive use, we are able to achieve proper operation when there's 500+ gb empty space, which is another 10% percent.

I have utilized/maxed out storage of all 3 external hard drives. My current router ports are full.

I would now like to get a NAS with at least 100 tb of storage for future use & maintain the basic gigabit lan connection speed, possibly using a switch, to continue providing the basic windows share with high speed storage. I don't frequently access certain files that's why I thought of getting all SSDs. What do you suggest?

I have watched the NAScompares videos & wanted to ask whether it was possible to host a VM on the NAS which I can use for my Wasatch RIP software that requires 8 gb of ram & a quad core processor.

My software requirements, from a NAS, are basic, as per the features available in current NAS systems; hence I was thinking to consider the best hardware kit which would be from the Asustor Lockster series I guess. What do you suggest?

Regards,

Manoj Hemnani
If you like Lockerstor series NAS, this model will suit your need https://www.asustor.com/product/?p_id=65
With virtual machines, same hardware requirement apply as for PC. Some people prefer Qnap for virtual machines thanks to their ZFS file system. But Assutor with ECC RAM is also safe and fast option. On your VM you can practically install anything like on a normal PC.

I hope this helps.