Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology RT6600ax

Hi Rob. Ive been a subscriber for many years, your videos have helped me
to decide to buy many Synology nas units, my first being the ds212plus
my latest the ds1821plus. Like you I`m from the uk so I`m hoping you
can help me with a question I cant get my head around.

My internet currently comes from Plusnet with an adsl connection/router
that as you know comes down the standard phone line connector (via that splitter/filter).
This router has a single Cat5e cable connected to my Q-Nap QSW-M408C, then around the house
to all the pc`s nas etc with Cat5e or Cat6.

Plusnet have just offered me FTTP so I`m hoping to upgrade in September. And after watching
your video on the Synology RT6600ax with its Vlan feature I would love to buy this and setup
two Vlans, one for all my devices and the second separate Vlan for my Kids stuff.
(I do not want my Kids having access to my shared folders etc)

What I do understand is that once FTTP is installed this new connection is just a standard
Cat5 or Cat6 Cable that connects to the Wan socket on a router.

But what i`m not clear on is this:

Does the RT6600ax completely replace the Plusnet router?? and if your answer is yes, do I
need to setup into the Synology RT6600ax settings some sort of the old Plusnet/Connection
/account/username stuff like I had to with my Adsl router??

I assume Plusnet will send me a pre configured FTTP router and my Best guess would be I do not use
this Isp router at all. The Synology router will just connect to the internet in its place
without the older Plusnet/Connection/account/username etc settings. And then just leave me to setup
its DHCP, Lan, Vlan stuff myself?

The above might sound like a silly question but after spending a lifetime buying my own Dialup modems
(first modem was 9600, 14,4 then 28.8) and then plenty of Netgear adsl routers over the years the one constant
headache was trying to get the correct login settings to work, since most normal people just used the
pre configured hardware. <bg>

I will appreciate any ideas yourself you have. Many Thanks Frank S
Synology RT6600ax can only become a model if you connect 4G USB dongle. Otherwise, it serves as a router/switch. You will need to set up all vlans inside Synology. Your main router/model will deal with DHCP (but you can choose Synology to do that instead). You would only gain access to the internet by connecting your RT6600ax to the model. Any other switches and configurations will need to be done on Synology (port forwarding would be done on the main router/modem from ISP).

I hope this helps.