Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Home Network Advice

I'm repurpasing an older server to be my NAS and bittorent seedbox, my main concern is fast file transfers between wired computers inside a rather small apartment.
mainly thinking of putting 2.5G ethernet ports in everything that doesn't already have them and using cat6e or cat8 patch cables
I have 2 computers to use as a NAS and a Backup file server. planning on a raidz2 setup with 4 6TB enterprise drives for the Primary NAS

Equipment List that I have already
NETGEAR 8-Port PoE Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch (GS108PEv3) - Managed, with 4 x PoE @ 53W, Desktop or Wall Mount, and Limited Lifetime Protection
4 Seagate Constellation ES.3 (ST6000NM0044) 6TB 128MB Cache 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5in Internal Hard Drive (raidz2). I'm thinking of getting 6 more of these,do another 4 drive zpool, and have 2 hot spares, one for each pool
AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor, 32G memory in a
Silverstone Technology CS380B Silverstone DIY ATX NAS Storage Case with Hot Swap Cases
Ryzen 7 5800X 64G mem in a Phanteks Enthoo 719 (PH-ES719LTG_DBK01) High Performance Full Tower Case
AMD YD1700BBAEBOX Ryzen 7 1700 Processor with Wraith Spire LED Cooler 32G mem in a Corsair CC-9011030-WW Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case
Beelink Mini PC AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Up to 4.1GHz 8C/8T,SER4 32GB RAM 500GB SSD Graphics 7core 1600 MHz,M.2 SSD NVME 2280 Mini Computer WiFi 6E BT5.2
I have comcast GB internet plan, but I'm mainly concerned with my internal wired network. I'm planning on using the FX-8320 8 core proc in the NAS case with 10 hot-swap bays for a NAS and PFSense box, and maybe my qbittorrent seedbox, may put my plex server on it (or jellyfin)
I also have 5 4TB WD Red drives,a 1TB wd Black, and a 8TB seagate ironwolf, plust a few 1TB 2.5"ssd's and 2 iTB m.2 nvmein different computers as boot drives

i'm a long time Linux user, btw
Yes, your hardware seems to be fairly powerful. You could install TrueNAS system which will allow RAIDz and everything to run a NAS, VMs, docker and anything else. We have. vieo here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjw_iuDqboo
Alternatively, you can consider https://xpenology.org/, this doesn't have this RAID type though.
Qnap also sells their cloud QTS, but it might be too tricky.
Having 2.5GbE is a good option. But if you get 10gbe cards they are also backwards compatible and give you a little more speed.

I hope this helps.