Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS recommendation

I want to buy my first & hopefully last NAS. Id rather over-buy the under. I would prefer to be in 2k-2500 budget. I have typical 1g internet service at home. I want NAS to be used for my whole family to store thier data from ipones, iPads, MacBook, etc. I want to use the NAS as mass storage for all family to use as our main storage. We would keep our devices mostly empty and would be accessing the NAS at home on our home wifi and also (alot) REMOTELY via the internet from our devices. We would be wanting to access our files but even more importantly would want to be able to REMOTELY (vis internet) UPLOAD & STREAM pictures and VIDEOS to our devices. It would be important that VIDEOS play smoothly on our devices (iPhones) when accessing the NAS REMOTELY via internet (cellular and or via wifi if available where we are). I shoot alot of VIDEO in 4k on my iphone so it would be important i can REMOTELY upload, download and stream that 4k content (shot on iPhone) using our iPhones. I need to understand if I would benifit from anything MORE than a NAS with 1g connection or not? Also wondering if embedded graphics would be important or not. ...Which SYNOLOGY NAS should i get? Which HARD DRIVES would be best for me? What total configuration do you suggest? ....WHERE should I order it from? If helps Ive been sort of looking at synology ds920, ds1520, ds1522 and maybe even the ds1621xs+
Yes, your mentioned Synology Celeron-based models could easily cope with 4k streaming locally and remotely thanks to its transcoding chip. Using a third-party app such as Plex would not allow 4k transcoding, but local streaming would be OK. DS1621xs+ do not have a graphics chip, but its CPU is powerful enough to convert the majority of 4k files even in Plex. Having 10gbe is beneficial if you want to upload/download files locally at faster speeds. Remote access speeds will be limited to your internet upload speeds.
If you want to use Dropbox-like data sync app to offload your data from computers to the NAS, Synology will only do this on Windows machines. Only Qnap supports space-saving mode on MAC.
You can fill the box with WD Red plus drives (SHR1/SHR2). No cache is necessary unless you run VMs, docker, web server etc.

I hope this helps.