Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS1520+ or DS1522+

Hi guys, love your site and videos, well done! :-)

I’ve been watching a lot of your videos on the topic and yet I still pounder on which NAS to choose.

I use the Nas for my family’s personal files, run a Plex server and I will want to use Va for a home assistant servers.

My initial thoughts is that the 1520+ is better for me with the embedded gpu, but I hardly transcode anything.

I’d like the Nas to support 4K hdr for my theater but if I’m correct, as long as the client playing the file does the job, the embedded gpu won’t come into play?

I don’t think I’ll use the 10GB adapter option of the 1522+ for quite a while, but it seems nice to have that option for the future, especially if I wan’t to start doing work from my pc on files heavier directly on the NAS?

I will want to put all my photos on the Nas in replacement of Google photos if it’s nice enough, but I’m not sure the gpu is used in this case, or make significant difference.

I have WD red standard and plus drives so I think I’d be ok either way.

After watching you initial assessments I had set my mind on the 1520. But I now have second thoughts. The 1522 is essentially the same price and I’m struggling to make a definitive choice for my use case.

Would you have any additional recommendation that could help?

Cheers
Cedric
Yes, I would also choose the older model. This transcoding engine can become handy one day when you decide to share any family video. 
Photos do not need a graphics chip. But might have some camera videos too. 
Also having 4 cores instead of 2 might be handy if you run virtual machines or docker. Processes do not need to wait in the queue. 
Having no 10gbe (backwards compatible down to 2.5GbE) might be disappointing. But you can link together all 1GbE ports and achieve decent speeds too. 

[Image: Intel-Celeron-J4125-vs-AMD-Ryzen-R1600-C...ompare.png]

I hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpKV2V79ksw
https://nascompares.com/guide/synology-d...omparison/
@ed Thanks a lot for the answer

I also made the same choice right now

There is 4 months have passed but there is still not much benchmark info about the new Ryzen R1600. Also, I didn't manage to find any information about RAM frequency

So I still trying to answer the questions below:

1. CPU performance. I heard many times (forum, video review) that Ryzen R1600 should handle docker and VM better, But I don't understand this.
    Q: Why is it supposed to handle VM/docker better than J4125?
2. RAM performance. I wasn't able to find information about RAM frequency even in the official specs.
    Q: Does DS1522+ have RAM with a higher frequency?
2. Missing GPU
    I don't care about the Plex transcoding case. As far as I understand obscene GPU has no impact on docker at all, but it's really important for VM with GUI. I didn't manage to find a good review on this aspect.
    Q: Will Windows VM itself work at least at the same level as on J4125?

Thanks a lot for keeping this great community!
P.S. This is my first post)