Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replacing WD Caviar Green drive

I have two Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB from around 2011 in Raid 1 inside a Patriot Javelin S4, was used continually for 3-4 years as media stream cloud then occasionally these last years for media backup and storage, not yet to capacity. One drive is now giving me some trouble with some errors and the array has rebuilt now a third time in just a few months with little run time.

I'm weighing my options:, to expand the NAS to 3 or 4 drives and re-map a RAID 5. Or upgrade to a new NAS away from Linux file system as I run windows format in everything else.

Question: What drive should I be searching for to rebuild and expand the array?
Is the newer Red NAS drives sufficient to pair with the old working one or should I be looking to match the old Caviar Green?

Thank you, for your expertise and time.

ps if I were looking for a new NAS system for Raid 5 or 6 what would you recommend ?
NAS actually runs on a Linux backbone. But either way network file system is compatible with all of the platforms including Windows, MAC, Linux etc.
DS920+ is the most popular NAS of all time. Probably thanks to its graphics chip and full functionality compared to other models.
If you want to phase out your Caviar drives, you can use WD Red plus drives every time you need to rebuild a RAID. The system will allow them. It will be as fast as the weakest link which is the green drive anyway.

I hope this helps.