Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DROBO FS Replacement

Hello, I have an old Drobo FS 5 bay that i can now only view on my sons old laptop. Thankfully he is notoriously bad a doing updates so it still allows me to access it. Well as you know a windows security update has basically rendered the DROBO useless. I was therefore wondering what you would recommend to replace it. I would like to be able to access it wirelessly via my smart TV if possible, but it isn't a show stopper if that isn't possible. I have the 5 hard drives currently in my DROBO and a spare 8TB i have temporarily put into my desktop, is there a way to put them into a replacement drive without losing the data? I would be thinking Synology or QNAP i dont know if there is anything else out there on the market which would do the job.
Many Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance that you can provide.

Cheers

Pete Sayers
Synology functionality is similar to Drobo, just better. You can also mix different drives and easily expand storage space when you need to. You also get an easy remote access via Synology VPN. You can not use those old drives without formatting. You will need to figure out a backup. If you go for plus series models such as DS220+/ DS720+ you can not only stream videos locally but also remotely. This is thanks to the built-in graphics chip.

I hope this helps.