Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS as Plex server

Hi,
I am planning to built a “home media server” and backup unit.
I want to stream my video library (mostly 4K HDR / ATMOS /DTS contents) to my LG CX tv via Apple TV 4K (1st Gen) and iPad at home. Sometimes (rarely) outside of home it will be streamed.
I will also be backing up my eBooks and work data on that.
I have 100 mbps fiber connection with ISP provided dual band router sitting just below my LG TV.
I am planning to install my NAS unit by the side of the router, beneath the tv.
I have zeroed down to Synology DS920+ for my needs.
I need advice from you whether it will be sufficient for my needs or do I need to go to something else.
If 920 is good enough then do I need to unofficially upgrade to 20 GB ram, as I have read some mixed reactions in Reddit threads. If I have to upgrade then please suggest RAM which are compatible for the same.
And also suggest how should I connect my devices so that best output can be achieved.
And do I need to wait for 922+ release?

Thanking you.
Yes, DS920+ is the most popular NAS from Synology. It is multimedia friendly and it has full functionality unlocked. This included VMs, docker, snapshots, windows backups and even high availability. Loac streaming do not require transcoding. But if you try to stream 4k on a 1080p tablet, this will demand transcoding. You can use Built-in vide app that can handle 4k conversion on the fly.
Upgrading a RAM without a need is not going to make a NAS faster. You should only add more RAM if you run VMs, docker or other RAM-demanding applications.

I hope this helps.