Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to use Hot SpareExternal Storage & Virtual Box

Hi,
I have been enjoying your YouTube Videos.

I have a F5-221 TerrMaster running TOS 4.2.39-
Firstly - I purchased 2 Seagate 12TB Drives and I configured them as Raid1 in my Storage Pool. I have been moving over my files accordingly.

Here are my config questions.
1. I have an 8TB Internal Hard Drive that I want to put into Bay 3 and I want to configure it as a separate Storage Pool. This I want to use to configure a PLEX Media Server that will be accessible from the internet to allow friends/family access to my media content. (I thought I could do this by configuring it as a HOT Spare that that does not seem to work?)

2. I have 2 External USB 3 drives (1 5TB the other is a Western Digital 16 TB) Can I plug these into the USB of the F5-221 and have it shareable without having to reformat the drives?

3. I have been using Virtual Box VM's locally on my PC. Can you do a youtube video on how to configure the Virtual Box using 221 NAS and what the benefits would be?

4. What is the Virtual Disk Option all about?";}
Thank you for your questions.
Hot spare will only do its job when one of the drives in a RAID will fail. The rest of the time it will simply be hibernation in that bay. Instead, you can actually create a separate volume for this drive. This will keep it spinning and make it accessible.
You can also connect external drives via USB and share this storage space.
Virtual Box is an app that allows you to create a virtual environment. This will allow you to install things like Windows, Linux and other things like smart home systems.
https://www.terra-master.com/it/press/in...ew/id/507/
Virtual Disk is basically an ISCSI service. This allows you to expand your NAS storage space by linking together other NAS devices or computers.
https://help.terra-master.com/TOS/view/?...rtual_disk

I hope this helps.