Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Not Enough Power, or Unoptimized Settings?

I recently finished setting up a DS920+ (thank you for your advice to my previous question!). As I am getting comfortable, I have started trying to do more and more with it. Initially, I just wanted to host Plex and a few docker containers, (home automation, data backup, the usual), but as I have started to expand into hosting game servers (Minecraft vanilla, Factorio, and maybe another MC server when someone wants to run with mods, possibly more as time goes on), I am noticing that the CPU is sitting quite high.

A common situation I am having is that there will be up to 8 total users connected to the game different servers, and 2 or 3 plex streams going. The plex streams are typically 1080p using 50-90% CPU (more streams higher %), while the game servers take up to 30% or so combined (Minecraft being the biggest usage hog). I didn’t think it would be that intensive

I went through your previous guides to try and optimize the transcoding settings, but it just seems like I am trying to do more than it can handle.

1. Do any ideas come to mind to reduce CPU usage on apps without impacting their performance?
2. In an absolute worst-case scenario, do you have another NAS you’d recommend for such a setup? (I take it something with just a beefier cpu, or even possibly a small dedicated gpu)