Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP TVS-675 or ???

Hi there,
Just about to set up a home Plex and backup storage system for home office/home use. I watched the review on the TVS-675 and it looks like it will do the job for me nicely. On the review you state that the TVS-675 is good but not the best. What is the best?
I have very little 4K content but around 12TB of Media that I would like to add to Plex and around 4TB of work related files. I will probably begin to populate the unit with 12TB drives giving me ample storage for the foreseeable future. Any advice on the device and drive manufacturer would be fantastic.
TVS-672XT, TVS-672X, TS-673A, TVS-675 Compare products | QNAP (UK)So the TVS-675 is a great NAS, but moving up through the current range:TS-673A (you'll need to add HDMI via a PCIe expansion)TVS-675 - well you're familiar with this oneTVS-672X - benefits from Intel processorTVS-672XT (same as model above but includes thunderbolt connectivity for importing / backing up to or from external devices) (Note - TVS-672 is available with PT / i3 / i5 intel processors (depending on age) - so be sure you're getting the right one if another looks a bit cheaper,Personally I always use discs 1 + 2 (WD Red SSDs in RAID 1) for 'the system' running the extra software & at least weekly snapshots.Discs 3, 4 & 5 you could use RAID5 with WD RED HDDs then backup to a single disc in bay 6.Alternatively, if you want to keep work files & media separate, and you're not requiring optimal performance, use Plus or Pro WD Reds for discs 1 & 2 (raid 1 still) for your system and work files - but make sure you create a good sized (500GB+) 'Thick Volume' first for your system files & installed software - this will give you the space you need 'at the beginning' of the HDD, allowing your installed software (now and later) to be more easily accessible. Add a thick or thin volume for your work files afterwards.Hope you found this useful.TribalHound..