Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Qnap backup unit to existing Qnap NAS?

I am planning on buying the Qnap 1288 or 1688 unit with a lot of storage, but want a Qnap backup unit, so am wondering how much storage that should have and which unit to buy.
Hi Benny, I would recommend you looking at having a similar amount of storage in the backup unit as you do with your primary NAS. Clearly you won't be filling the NAS full of data to start with but also you don't want to run out. If you are looking at getting the h1288/1688X, I would highly recommend another NAS that can support 10Gb (Most desktops have a PCIe slot now if they don't come with 10Gb as standard) just to help with performance when backing up your data. Thanks Smile
HI,Thanks your answer.WOW that is a lot of backup, I am planning to purchase the QNAP TVS-h1688X with 10x8TB or maybe 10TB drives and then Seagate IronWolf 125 SSD 4TB NAS Internal Solid State Drive, 2 x 4TB for cache and 2 x 4TH for special storage (probably surveillance) outside the Raid as I will delete these files when they get over 30 days old.Will also be installing a couple of SAMSUNG 980 PRO 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 Internal Gaming SSD M.2 (MZ-V8P2T0B/AM), unless you think that's a bad idea, can't have enough (too much) storage, can you?The backup unit I have planned on the QNAP TS-832PX-4G 8 Bay which I will put same size drives in as on the 1688 and the go from there. That have to be enough for starts :-) Not sure about this: QNAP Dual-Band Wireless PCIe Expansion Card (QWA-AC2600), will that interfere with the boats other wireless configurations. Would be nice to have a wireless connection for the NAS only to use for external units, smart phones, tables and TV's to hear music and watch movies/tv-series?For camera surveillance I will probably go for the Hikvision DS-2CD2183G0-I 8.0MP 4K (2 pcs as I don't know how the with cover will be, will need to have both port and starboard side covered), as I can also connect those to the chart plotters and use them to safely get the 60 foot catamaran alongside in a marina, not easy to get a large catamaran along side even with a bow thruster, so these cameras will be handy :-) Again thanks for your many answers, I know that you are probably very busy :-)RgdsBenny