Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to NAS - looking for Rack Mounted solution - large storage space?

Hi! I just upgraded our home theater systems (2 4K 7.1 systems, theater and by the pool). I hate having discs laying around and have ripped all my DVDs/BluRays to a hard drive and play through there. I currently have a Mac mini as a Plex media server connected to 4 18Tb Western Digital Drives. These connect to two different audio/video receivers and stream via two separate Apple TVs. (This is the setup that the local A/V company I used recommended, but they were not super helpful at coming up with a NAS system).

I now have a rack that has 2U space still available and would love to use a dedicated server so I can access things away from home as well as stream to multiple locations in the house at the same time. I have never used a true NAS and would love some recommendations.

I'm looking mainly for something with a good processing speed that can handle multiple streams concurrently, large storage space (100TB or higher), hot swappable drives would be ideal. I would also love to be able to access PDFs, Word documents, and powerpoint, and all other documents/photos from off-site. I don't know how to make that happen. Cost is not the biggest factor when deciding on a set-up, more about if it will work appropriately.

The computer systems we use are Mac based, and we are iPhone users, in case that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given. I have been looking for weeks now and just keep getting more and more confused. I also would need some guidance in setting things up to work on our home network, as servers are still exceptionally foreign to me.

I've attached a pic of the rack. Not sure if that's needed or not. (With me pointing to the 4 WD hard drive bays that are connected to the Mac mini).