Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Virtual Machines + Data Server | QNAP TS-h973AX or TS-673A or TS-873A ?

[QUESTIONS] ||
- which NAS among these 3 NAS would you recommend for my below usage? || Happy to consider other NAS too (not rackmount, however) ||
- how should I set up the discs so as to achieve maximum performance from Virtual Machine? (e.g. creating a separate volume with M.2 SSD / U.2 NVMe / SSD to where Virtual Machines will be saved and run?) Plan to install 64Gb RAM and willing to upgrade PCIe peripherals such as M.2 SSD / U.2 NVMe / Display Card / 10Gb LAN if necessary. ||
- which display card under QNAP's Comparability List would you recommend for my usage? ||

[USAGE] ||
1. Virtual Machines for Windows (which will be my main, daily OS) and Linux, occasional photo and video editing, gaming (e.g. GTA, FIFA) ||
2. data storage & private cloud storage, with remote accessibility (~10TB and growing. RAID 5 or higher, two disc redundancy) ||
3. will re-purpose my current Synology DS412+ as an offsite backup server to this new NAS ||
4. hoping to create a future-proof set up ||

[NETWORK SETUP] ||
- will upgrade to Wifi 6(E) soon. 1Gb broadband for internet access ||
- utilizing Virtual Machine with laptop over Wifi. Occasionally docking the laptop so as to use a desktop monitor, mouse and keyboard, also over Wifi. Can consider a wired network connection if necessary. ||

Please excuse my newbie questions. Thank you very much for your time answering my questions.