Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS advice?

Hello,

First thanks for your blog, it is really amazing.

I was wondering if you could help me make a decision. I need a NAS for mainly professional use.

My idea is to host all my data on the NAS (installed in my office) and have a network drive constantly mapped to the office computer. Also, I would need to be able to map the network drive from my home PC from often.

In principle I would be the unique user, except for specific moments.

A RAID 1 would be sufficient for my needs.

My work does not require high speed but it is true that from time to time I need to open large files constantly ~ 100Mb.

I've been reading and I think that the QNAP software is more suited to my profile because it is more customizable, I have some computer skills without becoming an expert, of course.

Do you have any model recommended for me?

Thanks for your help,
Best regards,
Alberto

Yes, Qnap allows you to configure things in more details. You can create separate shared folders for each user. Then you can map these drives to each computer with different user rights. You can also use WebDAV to map a drive over the internet.https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial/article/accessing-your-qnap-nas-remotely-with-webdavOr simply use the Qsync app to synchronise the folder.Any NAS will do the job, but I would recommend Celeron based models such as TS-251D. They run faster and are upgradable.I hope this helps.